Word Clipboard Bug - Being Fixed?

Will the known Word Clipboard bug be fixed at some point. (https://docs.pilotmoon.com/article/15-popclip-known-issues).

It took me weeks to figure out what was going on, and it’s very irritating … I love PopClip, can’t do without it, but I spend a lot of time in large Word documents, so it’s a real problem for me.

Versions
PopClip 2022.5, macOS 12.4

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no possibility of a fix from me :frowning: The bug is actually in Word itself. For some reason, if you copy text in word and then press delete, it copies the text again to the clipboard.
When PopClip is looking to see what text is selected, it gets Word to copy the text and looks at the clipboard and, then puts the original clipboard back. But pressing delete makes word put the thing it copied on the clipboard again.

But Nick, that doesn’t seem to be how it functions.

First, without Popclip functioning:

1. I select Text A
  2. Press Cmd-C to put it into Clipboard
  3. Move to another line
  4. Press Cmd-V to paste
  5. Text A is pasted
  6. Select Text B
  7. Press Delete
  8. Press Cmd-V to paste
  9. Text A is pasted, not Text B

With popclip loaded:

1. I select Text A
  2. Press Cmd-C to put it into Clipboard
  3. Move to another line
  4. Press Cmd-V to paste
  5. Text A is pasted
  6. Select Text B
  7. Press Delete
  8. Press Cmd-V to paste
  9. Text B is pasted

I didn’t explain it very well.
What you describe, is exactly what I would expect. It’s an interaction between PopClip’s mechanism of discovering the text, and the strange behaviour of word.
I’ll try and explain in more detail when I can.
It’s probably best to add Word to PopClip’s excluded apps list and then use the Keyboard shortcut to trigger popclip when needed.

Ah, didn’t know I could do that (block and shortcut) … thanks, that seems to work well!

1 Like