Bug: Can't Grant Permission to PopClip to Automate Chrome

I can’t grant PopClip access to control Google Chrome, specifically, the Subject field of a Gmail draft. I get this alert, but it is not dismissed by clicking either button:

Here’s what I see in  → System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Privacy → Automation:

(See comment since New Users are allowed to post only one image.”)

Note that request for permission was recorded in Privacy but checkbox is empty.

When I click the empty checkbox, I can then click the “OK” button in the dialog box and it is dismissed.

After manually clicking on checkbox, Title Text works correctly.

Versions
PopClip 2022.5 (pcas/1003895/2/2022.5/2022-06-04/en/en-US) , macOS Monterey 12.4

Steps to reproduce

1. Create new email in Gmail.
  2. Type text in Subject field
  3. Select Subject Text and click on Title Case (“T”) in PopClip
  4. Request for permission dialog is displayed
  5. Clicking on either “OK” or dismiss “Don’t Allow” has no effect. Can NOT dismiss dialog without logging user out of macOS.

Expected result

Should be able to grant permission by clicking on “Ok” and dialog should be dismissed.

Actual result

See above.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thanka for the report :+1: Have noted to investigate.

Not only that, such an alert will also be received when using a third-party plug-in, and this alarm cannot operate, which may also freeze the alarm window.

I have been unable to reproduce this on my own system.

Is it still happening for you?

Coming back to this, @nello / @fefewx , do you use a Chrome extension called “Bob”? Another user who had this problem seems to think it is somehow related to that extension.

@nick

Thank you for following up. I hadn’t thought about extensions interfering with PopClip :roll_eyes:

No, my Chrome extensions are

1. StopTheMadness
  2. Tweaks for Twitter
  3. AnyList Recipe Import
  4. Application Launcher for Drive (by Google)*
  5. Google Docs Offline*
  6. LastPass
  7. Super Agent - Automatic Cookie Consent

*I never use these and should probably delete them.

Just checked and PopClip now has granted Automation control to Google Chrome, as you can see:

(No, I do NOT recall doing this after filing my original report; it’s all rather mysterious to me.)

I am now able to use PopClip in the Subject of a Gmail compose window.

So, you may close this case.

Thank you.

Thanks. In any case, the bug (if it still exists) will be with Chrome or macOS, as PopClip isn’t involved in the presentation of the permission dialog at all. I’m glad to heare it is working for you now, anyway.