Copy with Stripped formatting as default?

Is there a way to make copy with stripped formatting and default, instead of clicking with Shift modifier?

It would be amazing if there is an option to toggle the behavior, so clicking copy with copy without formatting and clicking copy with shift will copy with formatting.

Hey, great suggestion! This is already possible with a hidden pref (I had to look it up, I forget about all the hidden options I put in there over the years…)

Paste the following into Terminal, then Quit and restart PopClip:

defaults write com.pilotmoon.popclip AlwaysCopyPlainText -bool YES

Similarly, you can set the same for paste:

defaults write com.pilotmoon.popclip AlwaysPastePlainText -bool YES

And when these are set, holding Shift will do the opposite to usual and allow you to copy/paste with formatting instead of the default plain.

I want to introduce this properly into the main settings UI eventually. I nearly did it in one of last year’s updates, even coded it up, but held back on it, I can’t remember why.

3 Likes

I have performed the suggest command in Terminal (Paste the following into Terminal, then Quit and restart PopClip:

defaults write com.pilotmoon.popclip AlwaysCopyPlainText -bool YES

And now I get a message that the trial of popclip has been expired… :cry:. Paid user since many years…

You must have installed the PopClip trial version from my website at some point. Just quit and delete that and install PopClip from the Mac App Store.

One gotcha is that you might have more than one copy of PopClip on your Mac. Maybe you installed it from Mac App Store to /Applications but also downloaded it from the website to /Downloads at some point. Clear any and all copies of PopClip out, and install just the one copy from App Store.

I solved the problem by quitting and restarting and just clicking “open” in the Mac App Store. But really, at no point did I install a new one (let alone a trial version). The version I use daily is the one from the Store. Surely it is strange that the problem occurred immediately after I ran this command?

1 Like

The Mac App Store edition doesn’t contain the code to show the trial messages, so if you saw “trial expired”, you must have had a standalone edition running. Maybe you tried a beta version or some bug fix I posted at some point. Anyway, glad it’s working now.

Thanks a lot.

And if I want to revert, I execute the same command and replace YES with NO, correct?

Yes, exactly.

Alternatively, defaults delete com.pilotmoon.popclip AlwaysCopyPlainText. Deleting a pref will generally reset it back to default.

1 Like