PopClip doesn't open with menu bar icons hidden

Hi @nick , I’ve noticed that when the menu bar icon are hidden (I use BetterTouchTool to do that), PopClip works as expected but the PopClip window doesn’t show up. I have to unhide the menu bar icons and then open PopClip again for it to show up.

BTW, I have “Show in menu bar” off, so I open PopClip every time via Alfred. It works every time when menu bar icon are not hidden

Let me know if I can do anything to make PopClip open every time regardless of menubar icons state

Yes unfortunately PopClip menu won’t appear if menu bar icon is hidden by an app like Bartender or BTT. It’s because these menu bar manager apps work by moving the menu bar icon off screen, and when PopClip tries to show its menu it places it under the menu bar icon, which is off screen.

I’m hoping to address this in a future PopClip update. For this, and many other reasons, I think the way forward will be move to a more traditional NSMenu-based status menu plus a regular prefs window, rather than the “popover-attached-to-icon” style (which was all the rage in 2011…)

1 Like

Adding for future searchability of this issue: Bartender, BetterTouchTool, Vanilla, Ice, Hidden Bar, BarBee, iBar

I’ve also added a note to the troubleshooting page.

2 Likes