PopClip performing different with keyboard shortcut (Bug?)

Gif demonstrating the issue:

Shortcut: Shortcuts

Extension Code:

#popclip
name: PopClip Test
icon: T
shortcut name: PopClip Test

When using the auto open feature of PopClip, the options available in the “choose from” list are different from those when PopClip is opened via a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks for reporting this and welcome to the forum @bilal . I confirm the I’m seeing the same issue. I’ve added this to my to-do list to investigate, and will keep you posted of any developments.

1 Like

Great, thank you! Let me know if you need anything else.

Having investigated it, I understand what is happening.

It’s due to a bug in all Chromium-based browsers, which PopClip has to work around. Chromium does not report newlines in the string when an app reads the selected text form a text control.

When you use the keyboard shortcut, it uses a different method to grab the text, by simulating a ⌘V keypress. This avoids the missing newlines bug.

However you can enter the Terminal command:

defaults write com.pilotmoon.popclip DeepCapture -bool YES

then Quit and restart PopClip. (Use com.pilotmoon.popclip-setapp for Setapp edition).

this will force PopClip to use it clipboard-based method of capturing text at all times. This reliably captures the newlines in the selection, at the cost of a slightly slower operation with visible flash of the “edit” menu and some other side effects.

I would like to come up with a better solution but it’s quite tricky. I’ve reported the bug to Chromium: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1474626