Searching and Tab Groups

Hi!

Wasn’t sure if this is a bug/known issue/specific to me so I thought I’d post it in general first.

I’ve found that if I start a search in Safari (using DuckDuckGo in my case but I don’t think it matters) and the Safari window is part of a tab group then the search opens in a whole new window HOWEVER if I open a new Safari window that is not part of a tab group and do the same the search opens up in a new tab on that page.

I don’t believe I have any other settings that might be causing this and it is 100% reproducible every single time.

Anyone else? Apologies if this has already been brought up, I couldn’t find any references to it.

Cheers
Andy

HI Andy, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. You’re the first to report this.
I’ve just done a quick test and I can confirm I’m seeing the same behaviour.

Unfortunately I’m not sure how to do anything about it. The choice of tab to open is actually made by Safari itself since PopClip only asks Safari to open the URL, but doesn’t have direct control over where it opens.

If anyone has any ideas, please share…

1 Like

Hi Nick and thanks for responding!

Ah well never mind, it’s certainly way down on my list of things that annoy me so I’m sure I can live with it!

Thanks again!
Andy

1 Like

Hi @Marwood … some good news. I’ve re-done how PopClip opens new browser tabs in latest beta (Build 4507). This seems to have fixed the Tab Groups issue In Safari that you reported. If you get a chance to try the beta, do let me know if it is working for you.